Saturday, February 19, 2011

Long Road Ahead

The past few days have been not only a whirlwind but the worst days of my life!!

I went back to the surgeon’s office Thursday for my follow-up appointment after surgery. I got there and they said that he was in an emergency surgery and sent my pathology report to my OB-GYN, who is a few doors down. I asked if the nurse could take my stitches out, which I didn’t realize that the surgeon normally doesn’t take them out this early, and she said she would.

We  (my mom was with me) left there and went to my OB-GYN. We waited in his office, and his first words to me where “I’m so, So, SO sorry to have to give you such bad news.” I laughed because I thought he was joking with me.

It turns out, he wasn’t.

I have breast cancer.

(I go to an Oncologist Research Specialist in LR on Tuesday. She’s supposed to be the best in the state and one of the best in the nations. I’ve only heard great things about her from anyone that knows her, including my surgeon and OB-GYN, a couple of her patients, and even just people that have heard of her. I’m excited to know that I’m going to be in good hands during this journey.)

Other issues? Well, once I left the doctor’s office, I got home and took my sports bra off (which is the only type of bra I’ve been able to wear the past 2 weeks!) and my incision site started bleeding. I went back to the surgeon’s office and the nurse placed some steri-strips and a bandage on it and sent me home.

Later that night, or actually about 245am on Friday morning, I noticed that my bra seemed wet. I went to the bathroom and there was blood on it. I took my bra off, removed the bandage and steri-strips, and blood started running down my side. I called my aunt, who is a nurse, and met her up at the ER.

Later that morning, the surgeon wanted to see the site, at the hospital. So I had to go back up there, where he looked at, said it had come open in one spot, took the packing gauze out, placed tighter steri-strips on it, and sent me back home. My day yesterday consisted of nothing but resting while my family, (husband, aunt, cousin) and friends (Stacy) all came and took care of me and the kids. I’m so grateful to have family and friends that are supporting during this time.

This is going to be a long rough ride for not only me, but everyone that is close to me. But I know that with God carrying me, I will make it through!! Please keep us all in your prayers!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete