My friend, over at SugarBritches, did a post concerning getting her 6 year old to do chores, and asked what we thought about rewards. It got me thinking, I never really had a "reward system" growing up. I didn't get an allowance, or candy, or got to pick out anything special and fun at WM. I didn't even get stickers!! I did, however, get to keep my stuff, and got to do things (i.e. go to friend's house, or have them over) for doing what I was told chores.
In fact, something I joke about today, especially since I have kids of my own, is that my dad always told me that he had kids so that we could do the things he didn't want to do. He told me these things as I would gripe and complain about having to get him something to drink, or anything that he didn't want to get up and get himself, or as I cleaned the kitchen and he watched TV. Back then, it made me mad! Today, I just laugh about it, because I totally understand what he meant now!! LOL!!! One of these days, I think I will be repeating those same words to my kids.
The odd thing about the rewards system is, I did have one, just not for chores, but for basketball. Yep, you heard right, basketball! I had a chart and had to make a certain amount of free throws and post shots to get a check mark. At the end of the month, I got a dollar for every check. Problem was, I wasn't, and still am not, an outside girl. I would rather be inside on even the prettiest days. So my check marks you could count on one hand! Maybe they should have built me an indoor court...just saying.





No comments:
Post a Comment