Graduation is right around the corner for the local seniors, and it has me reminiscing about my high school graduation…10 years ago!
I know that to some, 10 years doesn’t seem that long ago, but then I think about how my little sister, who turns 14 years old this year, was only 3 at my graduation. WOW!
I wish that I had a video of it, even though our guest speaker was VERY long-winded, I would love to see it. I gave the Benediction, and I wish that I hadn’t lost my copy of it. I also remember the fact that I got a scholarship that I was unaware of. They called my name, and I sat there…not realizing that it was me they were calling. LOL
The most rememberable thing about my graduation was the fact that my dad was the one who handed me my diploma! He, along with one of my classmates’ dad, was on the school board. So we were able to get them to hand us our diplomas. As I walked up to accept it, I noticed that he wouldn’t look at me. He kept looking at the floor. When he handed it to me, I was about to walk off, and he grabbed me, hugged me and told me he loved me. I could hear everyone in the auditorium say, “AWWW!” which of course made it worse.
I was able to pull myself together to handle the Benediction, but afterwards, during the “congratulatory line'” I, of course, cried some more. But I didn’t have time to do that long.
My parents gave me the option of either extending my curfew for prom or for graduation. I decided on graduation…which didn’t happen.
My coach informed us the morning of graduation that my golf team was going to the state tournament…and we were leaving right after graduation! So myself and my classmate, along with two other girls, left about an hour after the ceremony ended and headed out. As much as I was upset for not getting to hang out with my friends for the last time before everyone moved away, it was an experience that I would never change.
This is one of my favorite pictures of my high school days. The girl in this picture with me was one of the most wonderful, sweetest, funniest, prettiest girls I have ever known. And will ever meet in my life. She was one of the girls that was on my golf team and she was the highlight of the trip by far!
“Pugger” as one of our old coaches called her, was special. She was a blonde at heart that made everyone smile, and her life was ended far too early. Our golf tournament was the last time her and I was able to spend time together. She, along with two other wonderful people, were killed in a car accident right before Christmas 2000.
When I think of graduation, I can’t help but think of that tragic accident that took the lives of 3, and the hearts of many. It makes me cherish the moments I had with each of them then, and the moments I have with my loved ones now. I’m holding on to those I had to let go!
To all of you that are graduating, may God Bless you, and keep you safe!





No comments:
Post a Comment