April 9, 2009 will forever be engraved into my head and heart.
*
Yesterday morning we buried my grandmother. The weather was rainy and nasty looking all day, and was supposed to get worse during the evening hours. After the funeral, burial, and visting with family was over I went home and started watching The Weather Channel. They, along with our local news, were tracking a storm just north of us, and one just south of us. They said that both of them were going to miss my town. Relief!
*
Then all of a sudden the sirens started going off for a fourth time that night. I switched the channel to TWC and it was saying that there was a storm with some rotation that was headed directly for us! I freaked out!!!!
*
Right then, the power went out. Hubby went outside to see if he could see anything, when it started pouring down rain, wind blowing in every which direction, and hailing dime size hail. We got the kids into a small closet that is in our master bathroom and hunkered down. Hubby is normally one to stand out and watch it, but the fact that he was taking over with us, put me on edge.
*
When everything had quit, we walked outside and noticed stars. Yep, clear skies! Ridiculous!!! Not having any contact with people other than in our neighborhood, mobile phones were not working, we didn't know the extint of the damage.
*
Our next door neighbor works with Hubby and walked over and asked if he knew about the store. We told him no and that's when he said it got hit. We hopped in the car and drove over to make sure that everyone was okay and see if there was anything we could do to help.
*
I went to check on my sister and her family, who seemed to be in the path of destruction, and they were all okay...so relieved! Unfortunately, not everyone was so fortunate. Last count said that there were over 30 injuries and 3 fatalities here. I have included pictures that I was able to take, though I was not able to get to the worst part of it due to police and guard having it blocked off, and some that others including friends have taken.
*
Please pray for our little town as it is completely devastating!!
(The roof of a local bank)
(Debris wrapped around a parts store)
(An uprooted tree behind the parts store)
(Local insurance company)
(Tire place)





No comments:
Post a Comment