So here it is: "Short" Story #5
*****
My hypothyroidism, linked to pregnancy #2, was taking its toll on me. I was more ready to have this baby than I was with Sissy. I.was.dragging. And on top of me dragging, I was having contractions...not Braxton Hicks ones either. The real things. They just weren't making me go into labor fast enough, I was at a 2 for about 3 weeks.
*
Two weeks from my due date, I thought I was in labor. (I had never felt "real" labor pains since I was induced with Sissy) I went to the hospital, only to be told it was a false alarm and to send me home. A couple of days after that, early Monday (7-14-08) morning, I went in yet again with labor pains. They put me on the monitor for an hour after checking my cervix. (I was at a 3)
*
When the hour was up, the nurse informed me that every so often, when I would have a contraction, the baby's heart rate would slow down. That meant that I had to be watched longer. She told me to walk up and down the hallway for about 30 minutes, then she would put me back on the monitor for 30 more minutes. After the next hour, she checked me before sending me home. I had dilated to a 4! So she called Doc and he said to have me walk some more, and that he would be up to check on me in an hour or so.
*
When he did check me, I was still at a four. He decided that he would strip my membranes and send me home. He said that he expected to see me later that night, and if not to not eat anything after midnight and to be at his office first thing in the morning. My aunt, a L&D nurse, told me that I didn't need to be home by myself at all. So Hubby took the rest of the day off, sent Sissy with Nana and Pop-my parents, and sat on the couch with me all day.
*
At around 6pm, they brought Sissy home, and we decided to get some awesome Mexican food for supper. At 10pm, right after Hubby got Sissy asleep, I started having bad contractions. They hurt so bad that they were coming every 2-3 minutes, lasting for a good minute, and bringing tears to my eyes. I told Hubby, who in return asked what I wanted him to do about it...keep in mind, he was half asleep and we had been thru this twice before to no avail.
*
So I called my aunt and told her what was going on. She, too, was half asleep, and told me to drink some water and lay down for about an hour, then call her back. Less than a minute later she calls me back and asked me how many minutes apart they were again..."2-3 minutes. But now they are 1-2 minutes and hurt worse."
*
She told me that I needed to go to the hospital right then. I told her that Hubby and Sissy were asleep, so she said that she would stop by and get me on her way. While on her way, my contractions got harder and closer. They were almost on top of one another. Once she got to the house, they WERE on top of each other. I called my parents on the way to let them know we were headed to the hospital...yet again. I told them not to drive up, 30 minutes away, just in case it was a false alarm again.
*
Apparently my aunt had called the hospital on her way to get me to let them know we were coming. Because as soon as we got there, at 1130pm, someone was waiting at the door with a wheelchair for me. They wheeled me right back, had everything hooked up and ready to go for me. The nurse asked me to go to the restroom and leave a urine sample for them. Also to put my gown on. Before I could step out of the chair though, more hard contractions.
*
They decided it would be better to strip me down and put the gown on, while still sitting in the chair. After that, I was able to crawl walk to the bathroom. Then I had to make my way to the bed. Sure sounds, easy, but when you are in labor...it's not!
*
Once I got in bed, they checked my cervix...6 with a bulging bag! Yeah, just a little bit longer and my water would have broke on its on. The nurse called the doctor while someone else tried to put an IV in me. Not a fun time! It took them forever to find a vein they thought would work, only to find out that it wouldn't. After 4 different sticks, leaving marks that looked like I use, and a vein bursting, they got one in my upper forearm. They couldn't give me an epidural until I got an IV, so yes I was still in some major pain.
*
I called my mom to let them know it was time, and she told me that they were almost there. They had gotten ready and left right after I had called. I then called Hubby to tell him that they were keeping me, while my aunt called my cousin so that she could go to the house and stay with Sissy. Hubby got there in less than 5 minutes!!
*
Once they got the IV and an epidural in me, I found out that I was only half numb. Yep...the whole left side of me still had complete feeling!! Doc told me to roll over on my left side to try and half some of the epi drain to that side. It wasn't working. He said he needed to check me again, and had me roll back over on my back. Immediately I was completely numb. Oh and I was an 8!!!
*
At about that time, 130am(7-15-2008) my parents got there. The nurse checked me again and said that I was fully dilated and ready to push. She ran to get Doc, who was standing by my door waiting. When she got back she told me to push while he was getting ready. Once he was ready, he told me to push again...3 pushes and 11 minutes since being fully dilated, Bubba was born!
*
Hubby went back to the house to get Sissy and let her meet her baby brother. When they got back, Sissy was in awe of the little baby. Shortly after meeting him, she went home with Nana and Pop, and Hubby stayed at the hospital with me and Bubba. My aunt was insistent to give him his tests, first bath, and rocking him to sleep herself. That was around 230am, and Hubby and I were exhausted! I was especially...it had been almost 48 hours since I had slept for more than an hour.
*
She had come in around 330am to let me know that she was heading home, Bubba was asleep, and she would be back the next day to check on us. The next day was a whirlwind. Lots of visitors and phone calls. They sent us home the morning of 7-16
and we were ready!
(Bubba was born 7-15-2008 @ 153am. 7lbs 12oz and 21 inches long)
(Hubby, Sissy, Me, and Bubba in the hospital)
(Bubba now~May 2009)
*****
That's it for my "short" stories. If you would like me to write another one about something else, let me know. I'll do what I can! Hope you enjoyed them!!





No comments:
Post a Comment