Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Brazilian Sister

When I was 15 years old, we hosted a foreign exchange studentwho was 2 years older than me, from Brazil. She and I were really tight...she, in a sense, was my sister. She came to live with us during Christmas break and stayed until the end of the school year. A few years later, she came back to stay a week or so with us. I was so happy that I was able to drive and her and I could actually go hang out together.

When she went back to Brazil the second time, over 10 years ago, I didn't know if I would ever see her again. I, of course, thought of her all the time. Wondered how she was, if she was still living in Brazil, if she was married, had kids, and just what she was up to now-a-days.

I found her on myspace, only to realize that she never used it. I had her e-mail address, but it was her work e-mail, and didn't know about holding conversations over it. So I decided to look for her on Facebook (I get on there every day..sometimes more than once. Okay, more than 10 times a day. Sad, I know!) I couldn't find her. So I sent her an invite to her work e-mail to join.

The next day, I got an e-mail back. It was her telling me that she had JUST added me as a friend on there, right before she got my e-mail!!! How awesome is that?!?!? So we connected on FB and got caught up. She is married, and has been for 3 years. No kids. And she moved from Rio de Janiero to Sao Paulo...about 266 miles away.

She also told me that she would be coming to the states in October and would love to see me and my parents! She will be flying into Orlando, then fly to LR, drive to see us, stay about 3 or 4 days, then fly to LA where she will be attending a birthday party for her friend's one year old, and a wedding! I am more than excited to see her, and for her to meet my husband and kids!

I will have to dig out an old pic or two of us together and post in the next few days or so. I don't know if I can wait until October now!!! Eeekkk!!!!

1 comment:

  1. oh girl that sounds like a girl who I met from Sao Paulo, who moved here her Senior year to go to school at Acorn. She and I became instant friends and we were together her WHOLE senior year. The night before she had to leave I stayed the night with her and cried knowing she had to go back to brazil, and knowing that I might never get to see her again. I left and went to Girls State and she left for Brazil. A year later she came back, but I was out of town. I haven't heard from her since...your so lucky that you got re-connected with her...I sure wish Nessa would find me, or that I knew how to locate her!!!!

    ReplyDelete