Monday, April 6, 2009

Motherhood...to work or not to work

So off the sad stuff for right now, (I have cried way too much for now) I wanted to write something that came to my mind while watching Oprah today.
It was about "motherhood". One of the topics was the debate between working moms and staying at home moms.
*
I have always been a working woman. Never thought about doing it any other way. When our DD was born, I went back to work 2 months later. It was tough trying to find people we trusted enough with our baby, we refused to put her in daycare.
*
When unexpectedly we found out we were pregnant, again. Hubby and I kinda thru around ideas about what to do when baby got here. We never really decided until it was time for me to return to work though. We decided that as hard as it was to find people to keep Sissy, it was going to be even harder to find someone to keep both of them.
*
People ask me if I am still working or not all the time. When I reply that I stay at home with the kids, it always gets followed by this reply, "Oh that's good....if you 'can' do it, do it."
To which I ALWAYS want to reply, "We make due."
*
There are more times than not that I wish I was a working mom. It's hard financially on us. We struggle so much sometimes that we have to choose between paying a bill or buying some food. We have been blessed here lately, that it hasn't been an issue. But I am just waiting for when it gets hard again. Yes I am a pessimist!
*
Not only is it hard financially, but stress wise, and emotionally, it's tough. There are days that I wish I had a "paying job" to where I could escape from the havocs of motherhood. Adult conversation, better pay, lunch breaks, better pay, the excitement of coming home to my wonderful family, better pay.
*
Now, for the upside of being a SAHM. I love being able to keep my house clean, most days. I love watching my kids grow up, seeing Bubba start crawling and pull up for the first time will forever be embedded in my memories. I missed that with Sissy...I was working. Being able to take naps with them....ahhhh!!!
*
Anyways, one woman said it best on the show..."You do what works best for you and your family." Yes it's tough on us sometimes. Yes, sometimes I wish things were different. But I wouldn't change it for anything! I am truly blessed that God has made it possible for me to stay home. It's not "able" to do it, it's "allowed" to do it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

    I would love to be a SAHM. It's my dream job! I know that we won't be able to afford it with this child -- at least right now -- but I hope that I will be able to stay at home with him before he starts school.

    ReplyDelete