Thursday, January 15, 2009

Zone 56....whew!

On Wednesday nights, I lead singing for Zone 56 (5th and 6th grade co-eds) at church. The boys are always the "unruly" ones. They tend to like to talk instead of sing or listen during the devotion.
*
Last night I decided I was going to try and cut down on the "unruliness" during singing. I got the bright idea to pull people up on stage with me if they were cutting up instead of singing. I mean come on. Really? Yes, we are there to praise and learn about God, not talk about skateboarding.
*
I figured that if they can talk, they can sing. And they did! I pulled my first young man up to the front, embarrassed him, but when I let him go back to his seat, you better believe he didn't act up...as much. Before singing was over, we can 4 songs, I pulled one more boy to the front and made him sing in front of everyone.
*
The kids thought that was just hilarious! It was, because the young man kept telling me he can't sing. To which I replied, "If you can talk, you can sing!" He didn't much like that.
*
When my brother got up to do his devotion, the group of boys that were a nuisance during singing were, of course, a nuisance during devotion. We adults decided that we needed to split them up and it would quiet down. It did....a LOT!
*
It's amazing how just 2 boys can be taken out of a group of 7 or so and it is a huge change. LOL
*
I'm trying to learn the words to the songs we sing in there so I don't have to turn my back on the kids to see the tv screen. Not a good idea with 30-40 5th and 6th graders, right?!?!
*
I helped with the younger kids (1st-4th graders) for a couple of months, but about 2 months ago God led me in the path of the older kids. I just hope that I can be a blessing to the kids, as they have been to me....stress and all! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment